Why do notches move when I swap the seams?

Hi Everyone!

I've been noticing that my notches have been moving whenever I swap the seams and then I have to go back and reposition them.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jaye BrownJaye Brown Gerber Staff 💛
    Hi tidivi23:

Standard notches will move when a pattern has been modified.  If you want a notch to hold it's position, then either create a reference notch and/or change your standard notch into a reference notch. 

You can change a standard notch into a reference notch by selecting Modify Ribbon|Reference.  Select the notch (be sure Add Base Point is not selected in the User Input Box).

Once the notch is selected, select the reference point for the notch, and then select ok.  The notch should now not move when you swap seams.  I hope this is helpful.

Jaye.
  • Hi @Jaye Brown !

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely try this out :-)

What are the differences between a standard notch and reference notch?

• Jaye BrownJaye Brown Gerber Staff 💛
    There is no major difference between standard and reference notches...other than how the notches behave.  Reference notches are placed and set based on a defined reference point.  In addition, you can create a group notches of when using a the reference notch function...but in terms of the purpose of a notch, the exact same whether you use a standard notch or a reference notch.

Jaye
  • That depends on your seam properties.  In PDS you can right click on the piece to view the piece properties.  If the part is grading and your seam properties are set to copy grade rule then the notch will move to keep the grading the same.  In seam properties there is a notch extension option.  It is also NOT recommended to swap often, the more you swap the more the notches and corners may move.  It is recommended to work on the sew line.  When parts go to the plotter and/or cutter the lines will automatically swap.