Level up with a new series of AccuMark upgrade classes in GerberU! Our special series starts in December. Register now! http://bit.ly/AccuMarkLevelUp

USB power management-keys not responding

Lisa LowellLisa Lowell Gerber Staff 💛
By default, Windows has a power management on the USB ports to automatically "go to sleep". This can cause your AccuMark or AccuNest key to stop responding which in turn will cause overflow errors or an error message or your AccuMark and/or AccuNest programs to stop responding.  See the attached file to change the power management of the USB ports so that they do not go to sleep.  Due to Windows updates, this option may from time to time get turned back on and you may need to check to make sure the USB ports are not going to sleep.  If the power management is not checked but you find your key stops responding, your USB port could be going bad or the drivers may need to be updated.  Check with your IT group and they can update them.  If this still happens after checking power management and the drivers move the key to a different USB port.  If this is still happening contact Gerber Technical Support for a replacement key.   If you do not have a contract on the key you may be charged a replacement fee. To contact Gerber Support call 800.321.2448 or email [email protected]

Comments

• VasylVasyl ✭✭✭
    Good topic!

I want just add something.
    1. The keys is present in HID Device section. And it has own same power feature. What is not always related with controllers 

2. The power console has same options - allow turn off USB. And here is few power profiles: max power, optimize....
    So we switch off power economy in optimize profile. But PC switch to another profile the feature - turn off USB - can became allowed.

So I prefer check power economy features as for USB controllers, as for HID devices, as for power manager in Control panel.
  • Kathy ValadeKathy Valade Gerber Staff 💛
    Vasyl, Thanks for adding this additional information. I was not aware of the differences with optimize profiles. CAD Support recommends creating a power plan and replace the "Balanced" option. I also disable USB ports in Advanced Power settings. Can you explain more on HID devices?  
  • VasylVasyl ✭✭✭
    @Kathy Valade.
    1. This is good way - own power profile. But, for my opinion, users may switch power profiles. For example. When power loss then switch to power economy, when power back - to max perfomance. That why i prefer switchoff "usb power off" in all profiles.

2. HID.
    There The old type's key was present in USB controller section in device manager. And it has own feature "power off for economy....". What describe @Lisa Lowell for usb controllers. There I'd check and switch off this feature for key too. Not just controllers.
    But new type's key is present as HID device. Open this section in device manager and play with key (plug off/on). You'll see as some HID device desappear and appear.
    So now i'd switch off power conomy feature for all HID devices. Cos not want watch devices ID...

Or it's unnecessary???