Level up with a new series of AccuMark upgrade classes in GerberU! Our special series starts in December. Register now! http://bit.ly/AccuMarkLevelUp

Increasing Pattern Pieces for Shrinkage

Hello,

I am working with a lot of wash product and shrinkage needs to be taken into account.

What is the easiest and most efficient way to increase a pattern for shrinkage?

Thank you!

Comments

• @Lisa Lowell 

Hi Lisa! Would you happen to know anything about this topic?

(please see my initial post above)

Thank you!

• Alison GillilandAlison Gilliland Gerber Staff 💛

One of the best practice tips is to apply your Shrink/Stretch to the X and Y axis separately in the Model Editor.

For applying Shrink/Stretch in the model editor:

Shrink = -%   

Stretch= +%   

The amounts are based on 100% or the actual size of the piece.  So if your fabric is shrinking is 5% in the X and stretching 3% in the Y, then you need to adjust the pattern to be larger in X and smaller in Y. Since shrink is negative, you will need to enter the -5 shrinkage to make your pattern 5% larger. For Y, it was stretching so you will enter 3 stretch to make your pattern 3% smaller.

You would enter in the model: 

To visually show this in Pattern Design. The -5% – X  became larger and the +3% - Y became smaller.

As shown, Shrink and Stretch can be added in Pattern Design as well. However, any Shrink or Stretch added in Pattern Design will be applied to the pattern permanently. Any additional edits needed will be difficult to adjust and will exist to that pattern piece regardless of the fabric being used.

Where in Model Editor, you can use options or create new models for the pattern pieces. This way you can use the same patterns across multiple fabrics or model options.

If you add Shrink/Stretch in both Pattern Design and Model Editor, they are adding on top of each other, so only enter it in ONE place.
  • Alison Gilliland 

Thank you so much for such a thorough explanation, this is SO helpful!

I'm going to give this a try right now.