Join Gerber Technology in Miami Beach for our annual #ideation conference and SAVE $100 on top of our summer sale registration price (But hurry! Sale price ends soon!) http://bit.ly/id18SOCIAL

Import/Export DXF

Hey all!

When I export DXF then import it again bunch of information on my pattern gets lost:
1. F-Rotation is completely lost
2. Pattern in swithed to 'cut line' insread of 'sew line'
3. Some point attributes switch from 'S' to 'N' the curve is lost.

Our vendor was asking questions about grain line, and I know I assigned F-Rotation, but apparently it is lost in 'translation'.
Is it something in settings?

I am on version 8.4.0.93

Thank you!

Answers

• Lisa LowellLisa Lowell Gerber Staff 💛
    edited April 13

Hello Irina,

1: I would need to inquire in regards to the F rotation bu my guess would be that this is a Gerber feature and not understood by other cad systems so the F rotation information would be dropped. Is the line still there?
    It is by default that (point #2 ) lines are swapped , if your patterns are saved on the sew lines when the dxf file is generated they are swapped so that the cut lines are perimeter, this is as designed as a "safety" feature, so that if this data was going to a cutter it would cut the correct line. If you want to export the piece as a dxf on the sew lines you would need to make the sew line perimeter and define the seam as zero, basically take the seam off.
    3: Not sure about the attributes, but I know on the older versions they were converted to keep the integrity of the line. Can you send a screen shot of the attributes of before and after?

• Thank you for responding Lisa!

Regarding the #1 question of F-Rotation:
    The strange thing is that I 'exported' the model to DXF and then, for sake of testing it, 'imported' from very same DXF back into Gerber, and all the information of F-Rotation was lost, only lines were preserved .

Regrading the #3 question I'll send screenshot tomorrow from work.

• Here are screenshots of pattern with S-POINTS and S-POINTS stripped after I convert to DXF

edited April 16

Hello @Abhi_Irina
    Are you exporting as a standard DXF for ASTM dxf? How are you creating the dxf?, using Data Conversion Utility or sending to the plotter?

• edited April 18

@LisaLowell Using Data Conversion Utility at AAMA(*.dxf) setting.
    I didn't know there is an option to export using plotter.

• VasylVasyl ✭✭
    Hi. While you send piece to plotter, choose Dos File as plotter. Then you will get plt or dxf file according setting

Hello Irina,
    When you export as a dxf using send to plotter this actually is creating a standard dxf file. This file does not contain grading information. It's more like a wysiwig which means "what you see is what you get"