Post your Gerber Technology product questions here on our forum! Start by selecting the category you need help with on the right hand side of the page; then, create your new post. One of our team members (or another forum member) will jump in and help.

Making Trim Drawings

ss398806ss398806 Posts: 5
Hello,
Our company makes trim parts for the automotive industry.  As such, we need to create drawings for distribution to our plants and suppliers.  Is there any best practice to generate drawings like this?  I have seen other companies (that use AccuMark) creating drawings with an orange peel (exploded) view but I'm not sure how to do that without very tedious and manual (risky) conversions.  Our sister company in Japan uses outside software (ASNote) but it is not available in English language.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Answers

• Kathy ValadeKathy Valade Posts: 688 Gerber Staff 💛
    AccuMark can generate print files and save as PDF. It's available everywhere you have the ability to use File-Print. Choose PDF and you will have a quick drawing of the image you are wanting to send out such as via email or save to a folder.
  • ss398806ss398806 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the answer Kathy. This is helpful however I’m looking for a more comprehensive solution that has allows for linkage between the piece (model) name, material, etc. and the actual pattern shape. I think DXF is the ideal format to transfer from AccuMark to CAD software (we use Catia V5) but to generate an orange peel we are making a marker and manually placing pieces then exporting as a DXF.  It’s definitely a workaround method and we still need to manually associate the DXF and its BOM. 
    edited January 6
    @ss398806 I am not quite understanding your request but you can print out an entire model with pieces - names, images, material, etc without generating a marker. This data can be printed as a PDF from the Model Editor. Alternatively, you can generate the model data in plot format as you mentioned and in DXF, HPGL or Generic plot formats. If you plot from PDS there is an option to output the DXF of the Model as a SINGLE HPGL or DXF file so all pieces in the model are included in one output file. Plotting from PDS will not provide the material info, though since the plots generated are of the piece geometry, full scale. We can always take a deeper look at this request with a CAD Support case opened up with our Customer Success Team at 800-321-2448 (North America) or you can submit the details through our Problem & Enhancement Report utility on your desktop. This goes directly to Product Management for review. 
    Kathy, I'm think that Gerber does not have this functionality (just for reference: Lectra DC3D has some functionality to generate technical drawings) so I was instead seeking advice from industry peers about other solutions.  As for a PERU, I have submitted in the past for improvements related to BOM, etc.:  AccuMark software has limited flexibility when it comes to integrating our existing part numbers (i.e. one piece with two materials has a part number for each combination) and material numbers (character limitation, etc.)  so we spend a lot of time transposing and using workarounds to generate documentation required for our internal and external customers (I did not get any specific follow-up from that PERU.) 
    @ss398806 I think you have a point and now that we are merged together as one, we are able to draw from expertise on both sides between the two CAD systems. Do you know the enhancement report tracking ID? I can bring this up to Product Management and they may reach out to you for more information. 
    Kathy, it is Jira item AM2D-4527. Thanks, Sam 
    @ss398806 Thank you for that detail. I have informed Product Management for follow up. Much appreciated!
    Awesome!  Looking forward to any future conversation!
    @ss398806 And, in future, if you would like to follow up on your report, you may email [email protected] - Just be sure to include your report ID tracking #