MP 1800 Ink cartridge is full but doesn't print. Dries out.

I only use the plotter for printing pieces occationally . Every time I need to plot, I take the cartridges out (2) and moisten them on a wet paper towel. If I plot more than one or two pieces, I need to wet them again.  Is there a fix for this and what do I need to do for maintainance?

Comments

• Lisa LowellLisa Lowell Gerber Staff 💛
    What I recommend if you are not using the plotter on a daily basis is to take the cartridges out of the plotter wrap them in foil so they don't dry out.  If they are dried out don't shake them, this creates bubbles which can cause issues.  iI they are dried out you can set them in warm water for a little bit maybe 5 minutes and see if that helps.  We have also used an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner before and that worked. 
  • @lois If you haven't used them for some time, then I'll suggest you to wipe off the printing end of Cartridges with a Jersey Cloth dipped in warm water. Don't put the cartridge in water. After cleaning, dry it with a tissue paper. Then shake the cartridge well as it starts dropping the ink. Again clean it with tissue paper and put it aside so the bubbles created in it lay down. Than install the cartridge in the plotter and run the plotter... 
  • Dave RogozDave Rogoz Gerber Staff 💛
    If the ink cartridges are not used every day and the plotter does not have a Capping station, they should be removed at the end of each work day and sealed with their original caps. If no ink comes out. Wet a restroom towel, with a fair amount of warm water. Gently press the cartridge onto the towel,(position as when installed in the plotter), hold for about ten seconds, lift, two lines of ink should be seen. Never shake a cartridge.