Tips and Tricks

Hello all,

For those of you who may not know me, my name is Jim Maher, and I have been working for Gerber for over 30 years. All the resources available to us as a community is really awesome. The only problem is that some information is known by some people but maybe not known to others. I would like to start this thread by introducing something I would like to call "Tips and Tricks". As this grows, it might be able to be grouped by product, problem type, etc. My first tip and trick is "viewing the contents of a license file".

1. Viewing the Contents of a License File

Some people may not know that a license file (.lic file) is really just a text document with encrypted data mixed with readable data. I use this all the time when I am helping somebody who is having trouble with their license. Open the license file with a text editor such as Notepad. It is best if you use "wordwrap" turned on. This breaks the files into manageable pieces I like to call "paragraphs". Each paragraph will have the software module name, expiration date (if applicable), etc. I hope this helps someone who wants to know about their license file.

Regards,

Jim Maher

Comments